Monday, March 31, 2008

Hello Hot Doccers

First, my fellow programmers and I hope you are finding enough intriguing titles to tempt you to see plenty at the Festival.

We're proud of the diversity of subject matter and film styles in this year's programme, though we know that makes your screening choices a little overwhelming.

As Director of Programming I'm always reluctant to pick favourites, but having just perused the "buzz" section I see a few films here not getting the attention they deserve....so I'm going to start making daily recommendations to draw your attention to those "hidden gems" which make the Fest experience so rewarding.

Today's pick is SONG SUNG BLUE, which won the Documentary Prize at the Slamdance Film Festival earlier this year. This is one of those films that's a truly surprising experience, both dramatic and emotionally engaging in ways I wasn't expecting. The filmmaker, Greg Kohs, spent 7 years making the film, and its a truly sweeping story.

Check it out, and stay tuned for more picks from myself and fellow programmers.

Happy Festival,
Sean Farnel

No comments: